Citizen's Police Academy
Citizens attending the academy will receive training in numerous topics within the criminal justice field, with the aim of giving them a basic understanding and familiarity of the "how's and why's" of police work.
During the course of the year, the academy will be offered two times. The academy will meet one evening a week from 6:30 pm to 9:00 pm, for 10 weeks, with one Saturday session. These sessions will start in the fall and spring and are open to the general public. Special sessions may be set up for groups by contacting the Citizens' Police Academy Coordinator or 254-298-5911. The Saturday session is optional and attendance is not required for successful completion of the academy. They are generally scheduled to start at 8:00
Some of the topics that are covered in lecture and hands-on exercises include:
- Patrol Procedures
- Traffic &
- Texas Penal Code
- Crime Scene Investigation
- Vehicle Accident Investigation
- Narcotics Enforcement
- Firearms Training
- Family Violence
There are also classes to make the students aware of many of the programs offered by the Temple Police Department, such as:
- Citizen's Police Academy of Temple Alumni Association
Included with the academy is the opportunity for students to ride for a shift with a patrol officer.
- Each applicant to the Academy must meet the following requirements:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Complete and return the Academy application
- Agree to follow the academy rules and regulations as stated on the application
You may download and mail in the application.
You can get the scheduled dates for each Academy