Housing Resource Center
The Temple Housing Resource Center works cooperatively with other departments and organizations to connect residents with community services and programs. We strive to navigate and advocate for the community to preserve health and safety while enhancing and engaging Temple neighborhoods.
- Must be a resident of Temple, Texas
- Must meet HUD Area Median Income Guidelines per organization
Resources for Homebuyers
New Home Construction Down Payment & Closing Cost Assistance
- Homebuyers may qualify for down payment and closing cost assistance through NeighborWorks Waco or Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs.
Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs (TDHCA)
- Provides down payment assistance (as a grant) and mortgage loans to eligible first time and repeat home buyers.
Texas State Affordable Housing Corporation (TSAHC)
- A 501©(3) non-profit organization that offers privately funded programs targeting the housing needs of low-income families or other under-serving populations. They offer a variety of affordable housing programs such as first-time homebuyer assistance, sustaining homeownership and financial counseling, and developer financing.
- Learn about different kinds of affordable housing
- Non-Profit Housing
- Section 8
- Public Housing
- Affordable Homeownership
- Get your finances and credit ready
- Credit Check
- Income and Budgeting
- Check to see if your income qualifies
- Identify your housing needs and preferences
- Contact non-profit developers and housing authorities and apply
* There’s no single source of information about affordable housing. Contact many organizations and agencies in your search. You may discover great resources and increase your chances of finding an affordable home.
Develop, own, and manage affordable housing in Temple
Fort Hood Area Habitat for Humanity, 254-680-4007
- Build homes for first-time homebuyers at 30-60% of the median income
- Critical home repairs for owner-occupied units of families at 30-60% of the median income
- Homebuyer counseling for qualified participants on their projects
NeighborWorks Waco, 254-722-8941
- Credit counseling
- Homebuyer counseling
- Down payment assistance
- Homeownership/maintenance education
- Rental properties
- New construction
- Mortgages for first-time homebuyers
Community-based organizations providing services including vouchers, minor home repair, and support services.
Area Agency on Aging of Central Texas, 254-770-2330
- Resource navigator for seniors: minor home repairs to facilitate aging in place, relocation assistance & veterans, legal services
Central Texas Council of Governments, Housing Division, 254-770-2301
- Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8)
- Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing
Central Texas Housing Consortium, 254-773-2009
- Housing Vouchers
- Public Housing for Temple
Citizens For Progress, Inc., 254-421-0146
- Emergency home repair
- Housing advocacy
- Referral services for constituent need
Some shelters are gender-specific or have other requirements. Call ahead for confirmation.
General Resources & Connection: Help Center 254-770-6842
Families in Crisis, 888-799-7233
Family Promise, 254-773-9980
Feed My Sheep, 254-239-9863
Salvation Army, 254-774-9996