Hotel/Motel Occupancy Tax
Occupancy Tax Extension Program
Using the authority granted under Resolution No. 2020-0021-R, Part 3, Mayor Timothy Davis is extending the payment deadline for hotel/motel occupancy tax payments due to the City of Temple for the months of March, April, May, and June 2020.
Under this extension program, a hotel owing hotel/motel occupancy taxes to the City of Temple may receive an extended payment deadline for three of the following four months: March, April, May, or June.
A hotel desiring to participate in the extension program must
- submit the required report by the normal due date and
- request an extension of the payment due date
The payment deadlines will be extended based on the below table.
- A hotel may receive an extension for only three of the four months.
- A hotel who receives a payment extension for the months of March, April, and May will not be eligible to receive an extension in June.
- A hotel who has remitted their hotel/motel occupancy taxes for March will be eligible for a payment extension for the months of April, May, and June.
- A hotel who submits their report by the normal due date, requests and is granted an extension, and makes their payment by the extended due date will not incur late penalties.
- Hotels who have not remitted their hotel/motel occupancy taxes for March must submit their report by May 8, 2020 and request an extension or late penalties will be incurred.
To apply for an extension, please complete the form and submit to the Finance Department via email to email@example.com or fax to 254-298-5466.
The City of Temple's Hotel/Motel tax rate is 7% of taxable receipts.
Download Report of Hotel/Motel Occupancy Tax Form
Who must file?
If you are are a sole owner, partnership, corporation, or other organization that owns, operates, manages, and/or controls any hotel, motel, bed and breakfast, or other locations offering sleeping rooms for less than 30 consecutive days in the City of Temple.
When is my hotel tax return due?
Hotel tax returns are due by the 20th day of the month following the reported month.
A report must be filed for every period, even if there is no amount subject to tax or tax due.
Where do I send the reports and payments?
Make checks payable to:
City of Temple
Attn: Director of Finance
P.O. Box 987
Temple, TX 76503-0987
Hotel/Motel Occupancy Tax Use
City of Temple Ordinance, Sections 35-8 through 35-15, establishes the collection of a tax of hotel/motel occupancy and the use of those proceeds. The tax is 7% of the taxable receipts.
The total amount of collected taxes is used exclusively for the purpose of promoting Temple using one of the categories listed below.
As of September 30, 2019, the amounts were as follows:
Please Contact Us with any questions or call 254-298-5631