Temple had its beginning as a railroad town. On June 29, 1881, Temple Junction was created as the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway pushed north from Galveston. On this day, trains brought prospective buyers in for an auction of town lots - 157 business lots and 28 residential lots were sold... and the rest, as they say, is history. The new settlement was named in honor of Bernard Moore Temple, the Santa Fe's chief engineer; however, he would never live in the town that bore his name.
The railroad lured a diverse population including doctors, lawyers and merchants. The city was incorporated in 1882, and by 1884 its 3,000 residents were served by three churches and a school, as well as two banks, two weekly newspapers, an opera house, and a waterworks, among others. Temple boomed, soon exceeding the size of nearby Belton, the county seat of Bell County. Attempts to relocated the county government to Temple failed.
Today, the city is one of the leading medical centers in the Southwest, thanks to King's Daughters Hospital (1896), Scott & White Hospital and Clinic (1897), and the Olin E. Teague Veterans center (1943).
Temple has grown steadily because of its diverse economy - agriculture, transportation, manufacturing and medicine. It continues to shine as one of Texas' brightest stars.
Want to know more?
For more information about historic Temple Texas, call or visit these knowledgeable organizations...
Temple Historic Preservation League - www.templehistoricdistrict.org
Temple Public Library - 254-298-5702
Temple Visitor Center - 254-298-5900
Temple Chamber of Commerce - www.templetx.org