The goals of the Purchasing Department include the following:
- Purchase of quality goods and services
- Get the best possible price for goods and services
- Delivery of goods and services when and where needed
- Assure a continuing supply of needed goods and services
- Guard against misappropriation of any assets procured
Additionally, we are committed to ensuring that:
- Responsible bidders are given a fair opportunity to compete for the City's business. This is done partially by the statutory requirements for competitive bids and proposals, and partially by the City's own purchasing policies and procedures.
- Public funds are safeguarded. Although the Purchasing Department does not usually designate the types of purchases to be made, it should see that the best value is received for the public dollar.
- We are interested in obtaining good response to our bids and inquiries. We welcome your input regarding bid response times, changes in specifications or any other suggestions to improve competition on our bids and proposals.
- Assist in the selection of responsible vendors
- Assist in obtaining pricing information
- Determine that the purchase price is reasonable and that requirements for competition and performance have been met
- Assist the individual departments to develop quality specifications for goods and services to be purchased along with required delivery schedules
- Encourage competition between vendors through negotiations, competitive bidding, and quality buying
- Utilize annual supply agreements whenever possible in order to maximize the advantages and economies of quantity buying
- Continuously monitor requisitions by all departments to facilitate consolidations of purchases where possible
- Ensure that the City has the ability to take advantage of quantity and pricing discounts whenever they are available
- Explore the use of cooperative purchasing programs with State of Texas and other local government agencies
- Control the cost of purchasing for the City