The Temple Historic Preservation Committee will hold a reception honoring the Vandiver School building as the latest recipient of a Temple Historic Marker. The reception will be held on Friday, December 14th at 3:00 p.m., at the former Vandiver School Building located at 616 N 11th Street in Temple.Vandiver Elementary School is the oldest elementary school in Temple. The first building at the present location was a simple frame structure, known as Temple Ward School, and was erected in 1891. A six-room stone structure was built for $6,500 in 1896. The name was changed to Vandiver School in 1904 to honor Bell County educator, Mrs. M. V. Vandiver. The stone school building was torn down in 1928 due to structural issues and replaced with the 13,043 square foot building that stands today. The old school had been vacant for years and was facing demolition until TISD sold the Vandiver School Building to Tina Ortiz in 2016. Helping Hands, a day habilitation center for adults with special needs, currently operates out of the Old Vandiver Building.The Temple Historic Marker program was designed to recognize historically significant structures and organizations in the city, while encouraging preservation and restoration. For a property or organization to be considered for a historic marker, the property owner must apply with supporting documentation to the Historic Preservation Committee.Anyone interested in learning more about the Vandiver School Building or the Temple Historic Marker Program is encouraged to attend the ceremony. Please RSVP by calling the Temple Visitor Center at 298-5900.